Monday, February 8, 2010

Chili-Spiced Almonds


These were actually kind of a lot of work, but they are pretty tasty, so it was probably worth it in the end. I made these over the holidays (when I had some more time on my hands during my vacation!) and thought they would be a good little munchie that I could put out when people came over. My sister-in-law loved them so much that she finally asked me to put them away before she ate every last one of them!

1 tablespoon water
1 large egg white
1 pound raw, unblanched almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (next time I will probably add a little more chili powder, but I am a little obsessed with spicy foods, so that may just be me!)
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 300. Combine water and egg white in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until foamy. Add almonds; toss well to coat. Place almonds in a colander, and drain 5 minutes. Combine almonds, sugar and next 5 ingredients (through chili powder) in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread almond mixture in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300 for 15 minutes. Stir almond mixture; reduce oven temperature to 275. Bake an additional 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 5 minutes. Break apart any clusters. Cool completely.
Yield: 4 cups
Can be stored for up to a week in an airtight container at room temperature

Source: Cooking Light

1 comment:

midgeneuman said...

Hi DIL - I just wanted to say that I made this along with the 'spinach toast' on Saturday. I cut this recipe in half which was really not smart because I barely got any and they are delicious! I cheated with spinach by using prepared garlic toasts instead of the bread and heating part of the mixture in the micro and then stirring it back into the uncooked portion. It was all yummy and I thank you for such delicious recipes!