Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Italian Club Finger Sandwiches


When we finally had our first party for the "big reveal" of our new kitchen, I tried to keep the menu pretty simple and have several items that didn't have to be served hot and/or I could prep ahead of time. Just like my cooking skills, I was worried that my hostessing skills had gotten a little rusty! These tasty little sandwiches worked out perfectly.

6 thin slices white bread, such as Pepperidge Farm Thin White Sandwich Bread
1 cup soft, spreadable herb cheese, such as Alouette
8 slices prosciutto (I subbed in salami)
12 fresh arugula or basil leaves
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
Salt
2 radishes
Toothpicks

Trim the crusts from the bread (optional). Spread 4 slices with the soft herbed cheese. Top each cheese-covered slice with 2 slices of prosciutto, 3 arugula leaves, and top with a few tomato slices seasoned with a pinch of salt. Stack 2 of the completed layers one atop the other, making 2 stacks, each 2 layers high. Top each stack with a third bread slice to make 2 triple-decker sandwiches. Thinly slice and salt the radishes. Spear a couple radish slices onto each toothpick (I skipped this step and I didn't miss them!) as you place 4 toothpicks in each sandwich. Cut each sandwich into 4 equal parts. The yield will be 8 triple-decker, square mini "club" sandwiches.

Source: Rachael Ray: 2, 4, 6, 8 Great Meals for Couples or Crowds

No comments: