Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pasta with Lemon and Fresh Herbs


This is one of my favorite simple, light meals. It's also a versatile recipe that I can easily tweak a little bit based on what I have on hand. Here's the original recipe:

1/2 lb. egg noodles (I used whole wheat angel hair)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I usually use more like 3 or 4 tablespoons)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup lightly packed fresh herbs (can use parsley, dill, tarragon or a mix)
1 teaspoon lightly packed finely grated lemon zest
2 scallions, thinly sliced
(I also added some frozen shrimp)

Serves 4

Cook the pasta in generously salted water based on package directions. Just before draining, scoop out about 1/4 cup cooking water. Drain the noodles, set aside. Put the pan you used to cook the pasta over medium heat, add the butter, lemon juice and about 2 tablespoons of cooking water and swirl to combine. Add the pasta and toss gently but thoroughly to coat, adding more of the cooking water if necessary. Remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper, add the herbs, zest and scallions and toss once more to mix. Serve immediately.

No comments: