Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cranberry Walnut Bread

Ok, I made this for our post-Christmas brunch with my family, if that gives you any idea of how behind I am on my blogging! I'll be better, I promise! In any case, this bread was yummy and fairly easy to make. Since I'm not much of a baker, I'm always nervous when I am making a bread of any kind, so "tasty" is my number one qualification, with "easy" as a close second!

2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped cranberries (I used fresh ones since they were obviously readily available around Christmastime, but I think that dried cranberries would also work)
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon orange zest

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the cranberries and walnuts to coat with the flour mixture. In a separate bowl, mix together the orange juice, butter, egg and orange zest. Add to flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just blended. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until done (toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean). Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.

No comments: