Sunday, April 25, 2010

Cajun Shrimp and Rice



I'm not sure just how "Cajun" this recipe really is--I probably wouldn't ever serve it to my stepdad who is from "the bayou" and takes great pride in having perfected his Cajun accent, but Colin and I both enjoyed it. It was also pretty quick and easy, so that's a winner in my book!

1 bag boil-in-a-bag long grain rice (I just used regular white rice)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup canned Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. While rice cooks, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with Cajun seasoning; toss to coat. Add shrimp to pan; saute 4 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, saute 30 seconds. Add bell peppers, green onions and thyme, saute 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in cooked rice, shrimp, tomatoes, sat and pepper and cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.

1 comment:

Lori and Paul said...

This recipe looks tasty. I think I'll try it and see if it passes the "Paulie test"!