Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fruit with White Wine and Mint


Last time my father-in-law came to visit, he brought me a Giada de Laurentiis cookbook as a gift. I had previously not ever used a Giada recipe, but as I flipped through the book, there were several that piqued my interest. This was the first thing I tried from the cookbook and I was definitely not disappointed--this is the perfect summertime dessert! It works with any of the delicious fruits in season (I used cantaloupe, strawberries and grapes as the recipe calls for, but really any fruit combination you prefer would be good), is easy and is a very light and refreshing dessert.

1 1/4 cups dry white wine
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1/2 ripe cantaloupe, halved, seeded and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
8 oz. fresh strawberries, quartered
1 cup seedless green grapes, halved lengthwise

In a small saucepan, bring the wine and sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the mint. In a large bowl, combine the cantaloupe, strawberries and grapes. Pour the warm wine mixture over and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until cold, stirring occasionally, at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours. Transfer the fruit mixture to serving bowls and serve chilled.

Source: Everyday Italian by Giada de Laurentiis

1 comment:

Sanity Notebook | by Jessie Raisa said...

I've been meaning to nab a Giada cookbook. This little fruit cup looks like such a good midday snack.