Sunday, February 15, 2009

Brunch with the Parents




We had both of our parents and Rosanne over for brunch today and everything was so good! It was a fun, relaxing way to start our Sunday and I think everyone definitely enjoyed themselves. Here's the menu:

Mimosas
OJ
Coffee
Muffins--Mom
Fruit Salad
Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Rolls
Tea Sandwiches--Midge
Breakfast Potatoes
Amish Breakfast Casserole

Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Rolls

I have seen a recipe that was similar to this, but I didn't write it down at the time, and then couldn't seem to find it anywhere when I wanted to make these, so I just kind of winged it. They turned out so good and I'll definitely make them again!

1 package light cream cheese
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 package reduced-fat crescent rolls
Sugar
Cinnamon

Combine cream cheese, brown sugar, and vanilla and stir until smooth and well combined. Roll out crescent roll dough and press together perforations to seal. Carefully and evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over the dough. Roll dough up lengthwise and cut into approximately ten pieces. Place rolls cut side up on baking sheet. Mix together cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on top of the rolls. Bake at 375 for about 12-14 minutes.

Amish Breakfast Casserole

Bacon, cooked and crumbled (omitted this and subbed in red bell pepper, mushrooms and spinach)
1 onion, chopped
4 cups frozen hash browns, thawed (omitted these since I didn't get them thawed out in time--I was worried about how that might affect the recipe, but it was totally fine without them)
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup small curd cottage cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese

In a large skillet cook bacon(or veggies) and onion, then drain. Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl. Add bacon and onion and mix well. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes (my changes shortened the cooking time by about 5 minutes), then let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

This was soooo good! It got rave reviews from everyone and I'll definitely continue to make it with my modifications.

Source: allrecipes.com

No comments: