Friday, November 7, 2008

Warm Cous Cous Salad


For some reason that I don't understand, Colin absolutely hates cous cous, so I figured the perfect time to make it was while he's still in Chicago. This was really good and very fall-ish. I'll definitely make this again (although I might have to wait until the next time Colin is out of town)!

1 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 cup instant cous cous
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 green onions, chopped (I didn't have these, but it was just fine without them)
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh mint (I also didn't have mint)

In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the chicken broth and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the cous cous and return to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and fluff with a fork to separate the grains. Add the carrots, green onions, dried cranberries and raisins (I also added a few almonds just because I thought they would add a little pizzazz, and I was right!). In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Stir into the cous cous mixture. Sprinkle with mint and serve warm.

No comments: