Thursday, February 17, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup


Somehow I've gone all my life without ever cooking with butternut squash. I always see recipes using butternut squash, but for some reason I've been a little intimidated to try it. When I finally decided to try this soup I started by Googling how to cut a butternut squash--and good thing I did, because I had no idea where to start and I learned some very handy tips! I'm glad I ventured into a new territory because this soup was so good and was the absolute perfect thing to have on a chilly winter night!

1 tablespoon butter
3 1/2 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
3/4 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup half and half
1/8 teaspoon salt

To prepare soup, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, carrot, and onion; saute for 12 minutes. Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half and half and salt. Place squash mixer in a blender (or use a hand blender) and blend until smooth.

I also made some homemade crutons to add to the soup and served it with a simple salad and cheesy toasts---soooooo good!!

Source: Cooking Light

No comments: