Thursday, February 3, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


I can't remember which blog I found this recipe on, but the full name is actually THE BEST Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars, so I had pretty high expectations going into it. Earning the title of "Best" is pretty serious business, but these were definitely good! I made a few changes based on what ingredients I had on hand, so next time I'll probably try the standard version just for the sake of comparison.

2 cups plus 2 T. all-purpose flour (I used about half whole wheat flour)
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
12 T. (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used white chocolate chips)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I added these because I thought they would go well with my other changes)

Preheat oven to 350 and prepare an 8x8 baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, or by hand, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in chips (and nuts, if using). Pour into baking dish and lightly pat to even out mixture in pan. Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until light golden brown and outer edges start to harden, yet center is still soft and puffy. Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting into bars.

No comments: