Saturday, February 5, 2011

Orange Pound Cake


This is one of Colin's favorite things for his mom to make, so my mother-in-law so very nicely gave me the recipe so that I'd be able to make it for him too. As Colin's 31st (yikes!) birthday was approaching, I asked him what kind of cake he wanted and this was his request. It didn't turn out exactly like his mom's version, of course, but he seemed happy with it and my MIL gave it her stamp of approval!

Orange Pound Cake

1 package Duncan Hines Orange Supreme cake mix (this was the biggest issue I had--apparently orange cake mixes of any kind are not easy to find, so after my second grocery store with no luck, I went with a spice cake mix and it worked out just fine!)
1 3.5 oz. package vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 cup Crisco oil
1 cup water
4 eggs

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice OR 2 tablespoons milk (since I didn't use the orange cake mix, I went with the milk option)

Preheat oven to 350. Blend all ingredients through eggs together in a large bowl at medium speed for 2 minutes. Do not overmix. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Pour batter into pan and bake for 45-55 minutes or until center springs back when touched lightly. Cool in pan for 25 minutes. Invert on cooling rack and allow cake to finish cooling. Meanwhile, to make glaze blend powdered sugar with either orange juice or milk. After cake has cooled, drizzle glaze over cake. (I also added some chopped pecans and served this with classic Blue Bell vanilla ice cream--delish!)

No comments: