Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Homemade Mac and Cheese


I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before my undying love for macaroni and cheese. I really love any version of mac and cheese--fancy cheese restaurant-style, old school Kraft blue box style, even the Lean Cuisine kind is one of my preferred workday lunches. But my absolute favorite is my mom's baked macaroni and cheese with a buttery, crunchy breadcrumb topping. I don't know why I haven't just asked her for the recipe already, but this version is a pretty darn close substitute--meaning delicious, and I highly recommend it!

8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (sharp is important to really get the best flavor)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 pinch paprika

Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses and cook over low heat until the cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in a large casserole dish and pour sauce over macaroni (it may seem a little too "sauce-y" at this point, but it will really thicken up and be the perfect amount after cooking). Stir well. Melt remaining two tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni to cover and sprinkle with a little paprika. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Source: Allrecipes.com

No comments: