Friday, February 18, 2011

Chili Frito Pie


Frito pie is probably the kind of thing that some people wouldn't put on their food blogs. For one thing, it's not exactly the "classiest" of food items and for another, it's pretty much impossible to get a picture of a Frito pie that really looks all that appetizing. But I thought that anyone who knows the deliciousness of Frito pie could easily over look these issues, so when I was struck by a random craving for some, so I tracked down a really simple chili recipe (which is something I should really have in my cooking arsenal by now anyway!), bought some Fritos, and enjoyed every last bite!

To make the chili:
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans
1 pinch chili powder
1 pinch garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
(this is a really basic chili recipe, so it's perfect for tweaking to your liking--I added way more spices than it called for and I think it definitely would've been on the bland side otherwise)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the beef and onion and saute until meat is browned and onion is tender. Add the stewed tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and beans. Season with the chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 15 minutes.

Source: allrecipes.com

I topped a bowl of Fritos with some chili, chopped white onion, shredded cheddar cheese and a little bit of sour cream and it was perfect!

No comments: